Saturday, August 15, 2009

Actual Work

I was introduced to our Partner here the other day and forgot to blog about it. We met for lunch at Nando's which is a pretty popular food chain. They specialize in grilled chicken and their sauces are awesome. I think it might be portugese or something. Any way the food was great...but lunch was some what comical. There were so many different people our partner knew. I don't know how many times I was standing to greet people and then returning to my meal. I shook a lot of hands and we were there for 2 hours. Apparently, thats normal here. I wish I had some business cards, it was a great networking opportunity.

But the really interesting part was how normal our partner is. He has to be in his 30's because he has two boys one 8 and one 10. He dressed in the traditional attire. He had just returned from Dubai for a business trip. And I told him how cool I thought the indoor ski slopes were and how I couldn't wait to go check it out. Turns out he took his boys there a few months ago and they could only stay an hour because it was too cold. And the thing that really caught me off guard is how he started talking about how he snowboards a couple times a year. So I continued to grill him with questions about where I should go, would I need my own board, and all that stuff. He goes to France at least once a year to board and has been just about every desirable location in Europe. Because the flights are so inexpensive its normal for folks to travel to different countries a few times a year. I'm amazed at how many "holidays" people take here. I'd describe the pace of life right between island living and the rat race of the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment