Sunday, January 3, 2010

Our cool Kenyan Friends

So I forgot to blog about the cool couple we met New Years Eve. They are friends of our friends here and were visiting from Kenya. They live on a tea plantation. The rain forest is literally in their back yard. They grow all their own vegetables. As we were sitting in the backyard they commented how much light pollution there was and how black it gets where they are. And there aren't any restaurants and how their neighbors houses sort of become their restaurants. Everything is made from scratch. The closest super market...where they get their meat/dairy once a month is 4 hours away. They have 7 people working for them. A couple take care of the land, they have a cook and a maid to take care of the kids. Guess you would need the help of 7 people if you literally lived in the middle of no where. I think it's so cool they live like that. I can only imagine how challenging it is.

In other news...today I found the only place in Muscat that sells blu-ray dvd's. This is good because bluray doesn't have a region code unlike regular dvd's. And they actually have new releases. They are more pricey than in the states...but no big deal...not like I'll be buying one every week or every month...really its more comforting that I have the option to buy a movie and actually watch it if I want to see it that badly.

No comments:

Post a Comment