Sunday, November 29, 2009

The People

The people here are increadibly kind. First Salim came over to help fix our gas Hob (stove top) and internet. Both were up and working in a few hours. But he came over on his holiday to help us out, it was so kind. And then watching him interact with our kids was awesome. He quickly grabbed Hudd from La when she went to introduce him. And when he jokingly tried to take Jack's binky Jack took his binky out and gave him a kiss and Salim was in no way phased. Salim is so awesome, when he left La said wow, I really want to be friends with him...I was glad to hear someone else experience what a great guy he is.

We were walking one evening and we came up to a Scottish women and her dog, of course my wife then engaged in a 10 minute conversation and now has a standing invitation for tea. And yesterday La took Jack to the park and apparently a couple Omani women welcomed Jack with open arms trying to pick him up to which he responded with giving them a high five. The people here really do love kids, its quite unusual but I love that perspective. We got so many stares when we went to mall to hit up toys r us, which has a ton of baby stuff and happens to be a 3 min. drive from our place. Also, really hilarious people keep calling La madame. Our pizza delivery guy called her that yesterday.

We interviewed our first maid prospect last night. La met Terry at the park and Terry is a maid in our neighborhood and she had a friend who is in need of work. Her name is Sara (sounds like Saa-ra) she's philipino about 4 foot 8 and really sweet. I believe she's about 45 and apparently is a great cook. And as I'm writing this La got a call from Terry to come over and have tea with her and her Swedish employer. It's so great from a husbands perspective when my wife is outgoing and all around awesome enough to go make friends with random people.

So far we are loving our experience here. The other day I went to Carfour, which is walmart. They have everything you can think of and it was crazy crowded because its a holiday here. Aparently, the Indians walk around the mall for entertainment. I even saw a 200 cm Christmas tree for sale. I did try to buy Kung Fu Panda on dved only to later realize its a zone 2 dvd and doesn't work on our zone one ps3 blu ray player. But I'm thinking I can somehow mod the ps3, I've already spent way too much time trying to figure out how to access hulu and to access the ps3 store to rent movies. Any way there's a learning curve like anything else, but the important thing is we're having a great time. Miss you all...well not yet, it still feels like a vacation, but we will soon enough.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Woke up just thinking about you guys, just wanted to hear about your day! Thanks for the updates!! Love you All & Miss you ALL terribly already!!
    Papa & G'ma

    ReplyDelete