So after a couple hour excursion to a couple stores we thought it'd be a good idea to have another maid prospect come over to interview. So La gives Fathima a call and sets a time for her to be here at 5. Well Fathima is apparently really unfamiliar with where we live and so was her taxi driver. The taxi driver must be the only omani that doesn't speak english. I've had no trouble communicating with anyone else. We were essentially on the phone for an hour trying to give directions (because we kept dropping calls) via landmarks to a person who didn't speak english. First time we've both been increadibly frustrated. When they arrived we quickly interviewed Fathima. The taxi driver, Jamal, decided to also come in for a bit. We all sat in the living room while La patiently asked Fathima some standard interviewing questions. The really hilarious part was Jamal immediately picked Jack up and sat him in his lap. Jamal was in his twenties and had a standard middle east beard (thick and bushy outlining his face). Jack thought it was hilarious and grabbed at it and Jamal just went along and began tickling Jack with his beard. I tried my best to communicate with Jamal, who was all smiles and he made sure that I had his number in case I needed a ride anywhere, but he spoke no english. I guess it isn't fair of me to expect him to speak english if I'm unable to speak arabic in his country.
Needless to say we're still impressed by how well people treat us and our kids here. Also, we will not be hiring Fathima. Aparently, there is a plethora of willing and able workers and it seems everyone knows someone who's looking for work. And she didn't quite make the cut.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
sounds like everyone is very kind, and trusting. that sounds nice
ReplyDeleteI love that the boys are being loved on.. even if its by bearded taxi drivers :)
ReplyDeletelove yall.
holli